Topic Previewer hangs in VS2013

Topics: User Forum
Jun 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM
When I try to preview topics using the SHFB Visual Studio plugin in VS2013, Visual Studio often displays a "Loading Solution Projects" notification indefinitely and becomes unresponsive. I am able to preview topics without a problem in the standalone application. When I had VS2010 installed alongside 2013 (I have since removed it), I was able to preview topics for the same project in 2010 but not in 2013.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2014 at 8:33 PM
I haven't seen it do that nor has anyone else reported it. Does it happen in all projects or just specific ones? Is it a large solution with a lot of projects?

Eric
Jun 24, 2014 at 10:05 PM

It happens only in specific projects, and, unfortunately, I have yet to determine what might set these projects apart from the others. All of my current Sandcastle projects were originally created in VS2010, and each of them is the only project in its solution. None of them has more than eight topic files. It may also be worth noting that all of my projects are all in source control.

Thanks,

Charlie

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Source control shouldn't make any difference since all of the SHFB help files are in source control and I haven't seen that issue with them when testing. If you can duplicate it consistently with a project and can send it to me I'll see if I can duplicate the problem too. My e-mail address is in the footer of the topics in the SHFB help file.

Eric
Jul 14, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Update: I believe this problem occurs only when one or more of the project files are checked out. When I check everything in, I can preview the project without problems.

Coordinator
Aug 25, 2014 at 12:16 AM
To follow up on this, I tried duplicating the issue but have been unable to do so. In searching for the "loading solution projects" message and getting stuck, I found a references and it was related to source control. In that particular case, it was prompting for a password but the user wasn't seeing the prompt so it just hung. Since this also appears to be source control related and I can't duplicate it, there doesn't appear to be much I can do in SHFB if at all to work around the issue.

Eric
Aug 25, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Well, thanks for looking into this. I’ll see if I can find a work-around for this issue, but in the meantime, I can certainly live with it.

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:09 PM
For anyone else experiencing this problem, one work-around I've found is to do a "Get latest version" before previewing a topic you have just edited.