Replacing page breaks by section breaks in Open XML Document style

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jun 11, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Hello,

by default Sandcastle sets the page break for every class member which causes a lot of space to be used for nothing. Is there any possibility to change the default paging, e.g. replace page breaks by section breaks?

Thanks for you help,
Mikhail
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2014 at 7:35 PM
There isn't currently but an option could be added.

Eric
Jun 12, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Thanks a lot Eric!
Jun 12, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Eric,

Is there any way to place a member description to the class description instead of having a separate page for the member?
That would partially solve the problem with the space used...

Thanks,
Mikhail
Coordinator
Jun 12, 2014 at 3:01 PM
Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking for.

Eric
Jun 12, 2014 at 3:14 PM
At the moment Sandcastle creates a separate page (I am talking about Open XML Document style) per class member/field. 1 member - one page. 10 members - 10 pages etc. Would it be possible to place all class members information into one page which contains the class information instead of creation of bunch of member specific pages?

Mikhail
Coordinator
Jun 12, 2014 at 7:26 PM
The topics are built individually and then merged as the final step. That can't be changed. How they are separated could be configurable. However, if you are using Word, changing the page breaks to continuous breaks or even simple paragraphs is possible using the Search and Replace option. Other word processors may offer something similar. See this link for Word: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/136260/en-us

In this case, the search text would be "^m" (manual page break) and the replacement text would be "^c" once you've copied a continuous break to the clipboard as described. Another option would be to use "^p" as the replacement text to simply insert a blank paragraph in place of the page break. If copying the continuous break, I found it easier to switch to draft view so that I could see it for copying.

Eric
Jun 13, 2014 at 8:31 AM
Is it possible to remove a separate Members topic and move the Members topic content to Class topic? The similar way how it was done a while ago for vs2010 style?
https://shfb.codeplex.com/discussions/475210

Regards,
Mikhail
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM
That thread is in reference to the All Members topic which the Open XML presentation style is already excluding. The member list appears in the class topic rather than separately as in the VS2005 style. If you're asking to do away with the individual member topics, that doesn't make much sense. You either lose all the details if the member list is kept as it is or you'd mash everything into one monstrously long class topic which doesn't really gain anything and is more likely to be less useful and readable.

Eric
Jun 13, 2014 at 4:03 PM
Hi Eric,

thank you for your support!

Would be nice to get possibility to configure topics separation.

Cheers,
Mikhail
Aug 30, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Although the (annoying) manual page breaks can be removed using Word's replace capability, it seems awkward. Do you think it would be more consistent to allow users to manage page breaks as part of the header style?

On a separate issue, I find it would be helpful to update the Alert, Code and General table styles in order to set the "Repeat Header Rows" table property and the "Keep with Next" and "Keep Lines Together" paragraph properties for the table "Header Row".

Thanks,
Dave
Coordinator
Aug 30, 2014 at 6:52 PM
As noted above, I plan on adding a project property to define the page break style. Controlling it through the header part doesn't seem as useful or intuitive. With regard to the tables, the "Keep with next" option is set on table headers. I feel the other two options would be more subjective so I don't plan on adding them as part of the standard rendered content on all tables.

Eric
Aug 30, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Eric,

You like tables with no headers after page breaks, I like mine with. I suppose that's why they make both chocolate and vanilla ice cream.

Dave