Auto-map VS projects with XML documentation enabled into DocumentationSources

Topics: User Forum
Jun 1, 2014 at 8:50 PM
I have a complex Visual Studio 2013 solution containing on the order of 50 projects. Perhaps 25% of those are part of my public API, and have the "XML documentation file" specified on the project's properties/build page to create the appropriate documentation file. Is there a way for SHFB to dynamically recognize those projects and process only them (rather than me having to hard-code the list)? Failing that, is there perhaps a standard technique in an msbuild file to loop through all the csproj files to identify those so instrumented for documentation and generate a property to pass to my SHFB invocation?
Coordinator
Jun 2, 2014 at 1:21 AM
SHFB won't make assumptions about whether or not to document a project based on the presence or absence of an XML comments file. Is it missing because you forgot to set the option? Perhaps its documented for internal use so it has an XML comments file but you don't want it in the end-user documentation. It's too broad of an assumption to make. Depending on how the namespaces are organized in the assemblies, the API filter is probably the best choice to remove entire namespaces and/or types from the documentation.

Eric