Sandcastle isn't able to find MSDN URLs

Topics: User Forum
May 20, 2014 at 3:25 AM
I am using Sandcastle 2014.4.22.0 and when compiling my project I get tons of warnings saying the MSDN URL could not be found.

Examples:
MSDN URL not found for target 'T:System.Object'
MSDN URL not found for target 'M:System.Object.Equals(System.Object)'.
Is there something special that needs to be setup for this? I swear it was working last week but now it isn't.
Coordinator
May 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Already reported: https://shfb.codeplex.com/discussions/545667

If it's not back soon, about all we can do is post a message on the MSDN General forum that the MTPS content service is failing and see if we can get it resolved that way.

Eric
May 20, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Thank you!
Coordinator
May 21, 2014 at 2:30 AM
I've posted a message about it. Now we just have to wait and see if we get a response.

Eric
Coordinator
May 21, 2014 at 7:29 PM
As luck would have it I was contacted yesterday by someone from Microsoft about a SHFB question so I asked about the content service. They passed on the message and it is up and running again.

Eric
May 22, 2014 at 2:31 AM
That is awesome. Thanks!
May 22, 2014 at 5:31 PM
Edited May 22, 2014 at 5:31 PM
I just ran a build and I'm getting the warning again. Can anyone confirm if it is down or it is just me?
May 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM
I was consistently getting that error even after the service was supposed to be back up. I still cannot get the links to generate.
Coordinator
May 22, 2014 at 7:45 PM
It's working fine for me right now. Perhaps they are having intermittent issues.

Eric
May 27, 2014 at 7:38 PM
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. No matter what I do I cannot get links to generate. I created a brand new console app as a sample and added a class called MyClass with a single string property and the msdn url error occurs. Is there something special I'm missing with regards to generating these links? I am not going through a proxy. I pasted the sample class below. I'm creating a help1 chm file using all default settings and compling to .net 4.0
    /// <summary>
    ///     Some Class
    /// </summary>
    public class MyClass
    {
        /// <summary>
        ///     Some string
        /// </summary>
        public string SomeString { get; set; }
    }
The error shows:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder\SandcastleHelpFileBuilder.targets(40,3): warning : BuildAssembler : warning : ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: [P:SampleDocLinks.MyClass.SomeString] MSDN URL not found for target 'T:System.String'.
Coordinator
May 27, 2014 at 8:01 PM
The MTPS content service seems to be erratic just lately. It appears to be up and working right now. I've reworked the error handling in the next release so it gives a better message when it's failing due to the service being out.

Eric