MSDN URL not found for target 'T:System.IO.Stream', and others.

Topics: User Forum
May 17, 2014 at 5:45 PM
Edited May 17, 2014 at 5:45 PM
I just downloaded and installed the latest version of SHFB (v2014.4.22.0), created a new project with a simple class that had just one method taking a System.IO.Stream as an argument. Added this assembly as the documentation source to a new SHFB-project, verified that "Online links to MSDN help topics" was selected in the configuration, and built the project.
For every .NET type that it should resolve I get the warning message:

BuildAssembler : warning : ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: [M:DocTest.Class1.GetName(System.IO.Stream)] MSDN URL not found for target 'T:System.IO.Stream'. [D:\Coding\Projects\Labs\DocTest\DocTest\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj]

And the resulting file has no links to MSDN topics for inherited members (from System.Object) nor any types used as parameters.

Any idea what is wrong here?
Coordinator
May 17, 2014 at 6:16 PM
Check back further in the log at the start of the BuildAssembler step. Perhaps it failed to connect to the MSDN web service. You can also try clearing the ID cache. The folder is %LOCALAPPDATA%\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder\Cache. Just delete everything you find in that folder. It will rebuild the cache on the next build. If it keeps failing it could be a temporary problem with the MSDN web service. It usually resolves itself after a while if that's the case.

Eric
May 17, 2014 at 6:26 PM
I can find no errors or warnings prior to these "MSDN URL not found..." warnings, except for one saying that a namespace is missing documentation.

I also deleted the cache, and it didn't help anything. Pasting a bit more of the log here...
  ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: Creating MSDN URL resolver
  ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: The MSDN content ID cache 'C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder\Cache\MsdnContentId.cache' does not exist yet.  All IDs will be looked up in this build which will slow it down.
  BuildAssemblerCore: Building topic N:DocTest
BuildAssembler : warning : ShowMissingComponent: [N:DocTest] Missing <summary> documentation [D:\Coding\Projects\Labs\DocTest\DocTest\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj]
  BuildAssemblerCore: Building topic T:DocTest.Class1
BuildAssembler : warning : ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: [T:DocTest.Class1] MSDN URL not found for target 'T:System.Object'. [D:\Coding\Projects\Labs\DocTest\DocTest\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj]
  BuildAssemblerCore: Building topic AllMembers.T:DocTest.Class1
  ShowMissingComponent: [M:DocTest.Class1.#ctor] Auto-documenting constructor
BuildAssembler : warning : ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: [AllMembers.T:DocTest.Class1] MSDN URL not found for target 'M:System.Object.Equals(System.Object)'. [D:\Coding\Projects\Labs\DocTest\DocTest\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj]
BuildAssembler : warning : ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: [AllMembers.T:DocTest.Class1] MSDN URL not found for target 'T:System.Object'. [D:\Coding\Projects\Labs\DocTest\DocTest\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj]
Guess I will have to wait and try again tomorrow to see if there is some problem with MSDN that has been resolved then. Any way of manually verifying that?
Coordinator
May 17, 2014 at 8:45 PM
I renamed my cache folder, did a build, and got the same results. In debugging BuildAssembler, the exception coming back is "An error has occurred while processing this request. Details have been logged and operational staff have been notified.". So, for the time being it looks like the service is down.

Eric
May 17, 2014 at 9:43 PM
Yeah, I also tried with two older versions of SHFB with the same result, and I know those used to work, so I guess we'll have to wait it out for now. Thanks for the quick responses. As a suggestion, perhaps this error should be displayed at least as a warning in the log so one gets an idea of what is going on?

Regards, Peter.
Coordinator
May 21, 2014 at 7:30 PM
The service is back up so it should be able to resolve the content IDs again.

Eric
Marked as answer by decaf on 5/21/2014 at 1:02 PM
May 21, 2014 at 8:01 PM
Thanks for letting me know. Indeed everything seems to be working as it should again. Thanks for your time.