How to generate help for the structures that are being referenced from another project?

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Hi,

I have a method in a namespace which uses a user-defined structure as parameter. Here is an example:
public long GetData(
long Id,
Information[] information,
out string error
)

Here, Information[] is a structure which is defined in a different project and this project is referenced in another csproject where the methods are defined.

After adding XML comments for the method and the parameters, when I generate the Help, in the Parameters section, a clickable link is added for the system data types which opens the MSDN help.

For example, for the first parameter the following is displayed and clicking System.Int64 opens an MSDN help topic:
"Type: System.Int64"

I want to know how to add a clickable link for the user-defined data types.
Also, where should we add the XML comments description for the user-defined data types?

If someone can point me to a tutorial or help topic that explains this process would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Anita
Coordinator
Mar 11, 2014 at 7:35 PM
The XML comments for the user defined type must go in the project containing the user defined type on the type itself as it would for any other code. Since it's currently a reference assembly, it won't get documented. To generate documentation, you must include the assembly and its XML comments file or its project as a documentation source too. Note that this will document everything in the assembly/project not just the user defined type. You can use the API filter to get rid of things you don't want.

If the other project already has a documentation project and you are creating Help 2 or MS Help Viewer output, you can use the Additional Reference Links plug-in in the current project to generate ID links to the reference assembly's help rather than duplicating it in the current project. The assumption here is that both help files will be installed. If not, it will generate links but they won't work if the other help file hasn't been installed too.

Eric
Marked as answer by AnitaAndrew on 3/23/2014 at 9:49 PM
Mar 24, 2014 at 4:52 AM
Thanks Eric. I was able to generate help for the user-defined types using the above steps.