.NET Framework 4.0 Unresolved assembly reference: System.Core

Topics: User Forum
Mar 4, 2014 at 7:07 PM
I am trying to compile a help file using SHFB. I compiled two previously with no problems. The current one gives me an error:

MRefBuilder : error : Unresolved assembly reference: System.Core (System.Core, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e, Retargetable=Yes) required by OxyPlot [C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Projects\SandCastle\Help\Working\GenerateRefInfo.proj]

I tried adding the System.Core.dll to the references but it is version 4.0.0.0 (in project references too). The error is concerning System.Core.dll version 2.0.5.0.

Is there a setting I am missing? The framework version is set to .NET 4.0. I understand most threads with this issue are caused by Silverlight. Any help is appreciated.
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2014 at 7:32 PM
You need to set the Framework Version project property to match the framework against which the OxyPlot assembly was compiled. With that version number it's usually either Silverlight or the Portable framework. If you have a Visual Studio solution or project, use that as the documentation source rather than the assemblies directly. SHFB will then figure out the targets, references, and adjust the framework setting if necessary.

Eric
Mar 5, 2014 at 2:40 PM
The OxyPlot assembly was compiled using .NET 4.0. So no changes needed there. I set my document sources to the XML document which automatically imported the library.

I built the help file using Silverlight 3 and it worked. I didn't notice any major differences. Are there any known issues when building a .NET 4.0 project using Silverlight 3 in SHFB?

Thanks,
Charity
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2014 at 7:18 PM
That's an odd case but there shouldn't be any problems. It mainly affects the inherited members. You may see some differences on the member list pages but that's about it.

Eric