Don't understand these ResolveReferenceLinksComponent messages

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 28, 2014 at 5:42 PM
Edited Feb 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM
I get these messages when building a help file for my project. What do they mean? I see no problem in the generated help files. Can I switch these warnings off somehow?
ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: [P:Unclassified.FieldLog.FieldLogFileEnumerator.Current] Unknown reference link target 'P:System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerator`1.Current'. [C:\Source\FieldLog\CodeReference\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj]
ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: [P:Unclassified.FieldLog.FieldLogFileEnumerator.Current] Unknown reference link target 'P:System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerator`1.Current'. [C:\Source\FieldLog\CodeReference\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj]
ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: [E:Unclassified.FieldLog.FieldLogFileEnumerator.Error] Unknown reference link target 'T:System.IO.ErrorEventHandler'. [C:\Source\FieldLog\CodeReference\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj]
ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: [E:Unclassified.FieldLog.FieldLogFileEnumerator.Error] Unknown reference link target 'T:System.IO.ErrorEventHandler'. [C:\Source\FieldLog\CodeReference\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj]
ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: [M:Unclassified.FieldLog.FieldLogFileEnumerator.MoveNext] Unknown reference link target 'M:System.Collections.IEnumerator.MoveNext'. [C:\Source\FieldLog\CodeReference\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj]
ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: [M:Unclassified.FieldLog.FieldLogFileEnumerator.MoveNext] Unknown reference link target 'M:System.Collections.IEnumerator.MoveNext'. [C:\Source\FieldLog\CodeReference\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj]
ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: [M:Unclassified.FieldLog.FieldLogFileEnumerator.Reset] Unknown reference link target 'M:System.Collections.IEnumerator.Reset'. [C:\Source\FieldLog\CodeReference\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj]
ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: [M:Unclassified.FieldLog.FieldLogFileEnumerator.Reset] Unknown reference link target 'M:System.Collections.IEnumerator.Reset'. [C:\Source\FieldLog\CodeReference\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj]
ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: [E:Unclassified.FieldLog.FieldLogFileGroupReader.Error] Unknown reference link target 'T:System.IO.ErrorEventHandler'. [C:\Source\FieldLog\CodeReference\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj]
ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: [E:Unclassified.FieldLog.FieldLogFileGroupReader.Error] Unknown reference link target 'T:System.IO.ErrorEventHandler'. [C:\Source\FieldLog\CodeReference\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj]
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2014 at 7:29 PM
All of those IDs should be found as far as I can tell. Are you using the installed version of SHFB or are you using the version build from the source code? If the latter perhaps you are using outdated reflection data files. The other possibility is that you've got the Framework Version in the project set incorrectly for the assemblies that you are documenting.

Eric
Feb 28, 2014 at 7:30 PM
The framework version is correctly set to 4.0. I'm using the current beta version and installed it through your guided installation tool.
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2014 at 7:36 PM
One other possibility is that your cache files are out of date. Go to "%LOCALAPPDATA%\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder" in Windows Explorer. If there's a .\Cache folder in there, delete it. Rebuild your project and it will rebuild the cache files.

Eric
Feb 28, 2014 at 7:42 PM
Deleting that directory doesn't help. The warnings appear after the "BuildReferenceTopics" line which sits there for a relatively long time doing close to nothing with the CPU. The rest of the build process is normally CPU-intensive. The SSD shouldn't cause long disk access delays. Is it trying to fetch data from the internet which it doesn't find completely?
Coordinator
Mar 1, 2014 at 2:09 AM
The resolve reference link component connects to the MSDN web service to get the online link ID. If it's not connecting for some reason, it wouldn't be able to resolve the links. Perhaps it's timing out? If it fails outright, there's typically a message in the log file. It'll continue with the build but won't resolve any links. If you're behind a proxy server, there are some settings in the BuildAssembler.exe.config file that can be changed to get it to connect.

Eric
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Someone else just reported a similar problem and based on their example I did find an issue. It was missing the referenced namespaces for generic parameters types when it was gathering the namespaces for the list to include for the resolve reference links component. I've fixed it so that it includes the necessary elements in the reflection file search to pick them up. It'll be fixed in the next release. That would explain the entries for types but your list includes properties and methods so it could still be web service related in this case.

Eric