How create topic using conceptual content to navigate to external web page?

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM
Hi,

Is there any way to create topic using conceptual content to navigate to external web page in CHM help file? As I can see topics should only reference *.AML file.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Feb 28, 2014 at 2:08 PM
It looks like externalLink element should do the job. There are several uses of it in the SHFB source tree. For example, in Documentation\SandcastleBuilder\Content\Links.aml:
    <listItem>
        <para>The following article is outdated now but does contain some useful information:
            <externalLink>
<linkText>Taming Sandcastle: A .NET Programmer's Guide to Documenting Your Code</linkText>
<linkAlternateText>Taming Sandcastle</linkAlternateText>
<linkUri>http://www.simple-talk.com/dotnet/.net-tools/taming-sandcastle-a-.net-programmers-guide-to-documenting-your-code</linkUri>
<linkTarget>_blank</linkTarget>
</externalLink></para></listItem>
Feb 28, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Thank you for the answer but it is not what I am looking for. Please take a look at the image Image

I need to click on Tutorial topic in TOC (left panel) and navigate to external URL on right side. Is it possible?
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2014 at 7:15 PM
You can't have a link in the TOC that goes to an external site. You'll need a topic with a link to the site in its content. The externalLink element will do that as noted above. Setting the linkTarget to "_self" will open the URL in the help window. See the Sandcastle MAML GUide for details on the various MAML elements such as externalLink.

Eric