Help for Help Viewer 2.1 and Help Viewer 2.0

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Feb 18, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Hi

Is there a possibility to generate a mshc file to use for Visual Studio 2012 and 2013, without generating two files. One with content catalog VisualStudio12 and one with VisualStudio11.
If I want to 'register' the catalog VisualStudio12 for Help Viewer 2.0 the error 'The specified content does not exist or is unreadable.' is shown.

Thanks

PS: [Sandcastle Help File Builder, version 2014.2.15.0 Beta]
Coordinator
Feb 18, 2014 at 4:06 PM
The same help file will work in both versions. It's the installation script you have to change. See the example scripts generated with the help file. You'll need to make a copy containing just the specific commands and the catalog name to install it in or remove it from the applicable version.

Eric
Feb 19, 2014 at 8:33 AM
Hi

Oh I thought, that if I enter in the shfbproj the 'VisualStudio11' as Help Viewer 2.x content catalog name (<CatalogName>VisualStudio11</CatalogName>), I have to register it with this name, like the generated bat file suggested.

If I change the register command
HelpLibraryManagerLauncher.exe /viewerVersion 2.1 /catalogName VisualStudio11 /locale ....
to
HelpLibraryManagerLauncher.exe /viewerVersion 2.1 /catalogName VisualStudio12 /locale ....
then it works.

Why do I have to enter the Help Viewer 2.x content catalog name, if I have to change the register command later?

Bernhard
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2014 at 4:03 PM
The property works best if your generating help for one version of Visual Studio. It gets written to the example install/remove scripts. If generating help for multiple versions, you'll have to handle the scripts on your own.

Eric