Icons not displaying in Help Viewer 2.0

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Feb 14, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Hi,
The framework icons for methods, properties, etc, are not displaying in the Help Viewer in VS 2012. The same Help cab looks fine in VS 2010. I have the icons folder in my project. How can I get these to display?

thanks,
Dianne
Coordinator
Feb 15, 2014 at 2:04 AM
The icons are part of the presentation style, not the help project. I'm not aware of any issues with either the VS2005 or VS2010 styles. If you aren't already using the latest release, update to it as it may resolve the issue. If you have a custom style based on one the stock styles, try comparing the custom style to the latest release as there may be some fixes that are missing in the custom style.

Eric
Feb 18, 2014 at 6:31 PM
Eric, thanks for your reply.

I am using the VS2010 presentation style, nothing custom. I updated to the Feb 15 release and re-ran the project. I got the same result - icons such as Public method, Static method do not display in VS 2012, but the same .cab displays the icons in VS 2010. I re-ran it again after removing the icon folder from the project and got the same result.

What else can I check?

thanks,
Dianne
Coordinator
Feb 18, 2014 at 7:33 PM
You said you removed the icon folder from the project. As I said before, the icons are not part of the project they're part of the presentation style. Perhaps you've got some sort of conflict within the project itself. Try creating a simple test project with nothing but an assembly and and XML comments file and build it with the VS 2010 style. See if it installs and displays the icons.

One other thought, check that you've got the catalog name property set properly for VS 2012 (it should be VisualStudio11). If not, that would cause a problem though I'd expect it to not install.

Eric
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2014 at 2:07 AM
Are you using the Sandcastle tools in a standalone fashion (i.e. not using SHFB and using the tools in your own build script)? If so, you may need to fix sandcastle.config. The branding component reference in there wasn't updated to "Branding Component" (needs a space added). If using SHFB, all is correct and the build output should be working without issue.

Eric
Feb 27, 2014 at 8:55 PM
Hi Eric,
I had to resort to a workaround to get the icons to display in VS 2012. To summarize the project, I am building API documentation in Japanese using SHFB 1.9.8 on a Japanese win7 machine. (I upgraded to the latest release but it did not resolve the issue so I am back to using what I used for my EN help.) I am building directly in the GUI, nothing custom, not part of a build process.

Using SHFB I built a CHM using the vs2010 presentation and JA as the Help file language. I then ran the CHM through mshcmigrate to build the mshc and cab. I set the migrate option to EN, which is the workaround. The .cab integrated into VS 2012 and displayed the icons just fine. But this workaround means that the help is integrated into the EN catalog. Other attempts to set the option to JA resulted in no icons display, the vs2010 presentation was gone and a script error displays when you click on a topic.

If you have any suggestions on what I should do differently, I'd appreciate them. I also have a Chinese Help file to build and would like it to go better.
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2014 at 2:25 AM
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you are doing but why aren't you just using MS Help Viewer as the help file format in the SHFB project?

I'm not familiar with the mshcmigrate tool so there's a good chance it's breaking something. Since that's not part of SHFB, I can't really provide any help on its usage. If you haven't done so already, do as I suggested above and just build a small help project with nothing but an assembly and XML comments file as a documentation source and no other content in the project and get that working using the standard SHFB features.

Alternate languages with regard to Help Viewer are not something I've dealt with or have any specific knowledge of. There may be more to setting up the catalog to support other languages. You'd be better of contacting Microsoft or posting on one of their MSDN forums for more information about that.

Eric