query on the root namespace container page in the chm file

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:44 PM

In sandcastle, if the rootnamespace container page essentially displays a summary of  namespaces contained in the help file.

The namespace table has 2 columns  1. Namespace 2.Description.

My question is about the "Description" column. Currently the description column displays the entire namespace summary (including the images/class diagrams/examples .. if any). Is there a way i can restrict the content in the description column to just display the namespace summary text without  the images/Classdiagrams/examples...?I want the images and class diagrams and examples to be displayed only when i click on the individual namespaces nodes and not when i click the root namespace node.
Mar 27, 2009 at 7:18 PM
Edited Mar 27, 2009 at 7:19 PM
If you've entered the comments and image references in the NamespaceSummaries project property, they end up in a <summary> element for the namespace and will thus always appear in the list.  What you can do is either create a separate XML comments file to contain the comments where you can break them up into a <summary> and <remarks> element or use a NamespaceDoc class within the project to do the same thing.  See Sharing Project Summary and Namespace Comments and Using NamespaceDoc Classes for more information.

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:14 PM
Edited Mar 30, 2009 at 10:14 PM
Hi Eric,

I tried both options mentioned by you , I am afraid, that does not solve my problem  .In both cases, it still appends the NamespaceSummary documentation comments to the sharedcontent or the NamespaceDoc class documentation.

What i am looking at is an exclusive thing, I dont want the Namespace summary (images/class diagrams/examples etc..) to appear when i click the Root Namespace container(this lists the namespaces contained..). I only want the description to appear and not the images . I want these images/classdiagrams.examples.. all these details to be rendered only when i click the individual namespace nodes. The root namespace conatainer should only display the overview of the namespaces listed with in it without any other details..

Is there a way of achieving this behaviour in SHFB?

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:17 AM
If you have a summary in both places, it will merge both summaries, you can't have two and only show one or the other.  You'll need to omit the stuff you don't want to see from the NamespaceSummaries property or the <summary> element if managing the comments externally.  Everything else will need to go in a <remarks> element in an external XML comments file or on a NamespaceDoc class.  Put a summary in one of those places, not both.  The entire set of comments will merge together with the common summary.  The root namespace page will show the summary only, the namespace page will show the whole set of comments.