How can I skip MrefBuilder and supply my own reflection.org/comments.xml?

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:47 AM
I've got some documentation that's not coming from a real assembly, but I have the ability to generate my own reflection.org and comments.xml.  Essentially I have everything I need to jump into the pipeline with the same output MrefBuilder would give me.  I've been able to use Sandcastle to get some docs with a batch file (using this as a reference).  That's all great.

But now I'm at the point where I want to add some conceptual topics to my API documentation.  And I'm at a complete loss for how to incorporate those into my pipeline.  But SHFB seems to do a great job of managing this kind of stuff.  I'd like to switch to using it instead, but I have no idea how to leap frog to the post-MrefBuilder, pre-transformation step.  Does anyone know how I can replace the MrefBuilder step with my own pre-prepared files?
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2009 at 2:57 PM
You can create a plug-in for SHFB that bypasses the MRefBuilder step and substitutes your own files.  That's what the AjaxDoc plug-in does.  You can take a look at the code for it to get an idea of how you might do it.  The SHFB help file also contains a topic on creating plug-ins so read through that too for more information.

Eric
Mar 13, 2009 at 8:37 PM
Excellent!  AjaxDoc had within it the logic I needed to accomplish my task.  I was able to modify it to make sure everything worked, and then make my own standalone plug-in.  The Creating Build Process Plug-Ins doc was very helpful, by the way.  I'm good to go :D

Essentially all my plug-in does in the end is allow a reflection.org to be a valid "no processing required" document source.  What are your thoughts on whether that should just be a built-in option for SHFB?
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2009 at 2:18 AM
I'll take a look into it.  I think as long as it has a ".org" extension I can probably just treat it as a reflection file much like I treate ".xml" files as comments files now.

Eric