Could I Potentially Downgrade Project

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 22, 2009 at 5:14 AM
I unfortunately am restricted from VS 2008 until it is "approved" for use.  What features of .NET 3.0 and 3.5 are being use beside VS 2008?  The command-line feature capability is awesome but without it being in .NET 2 I will have to wait.
Coordinator
Feb 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM
Edited Feb 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM
VS 2008 isn't part of .NET 3.5 and isn't required to use SHFB.  While the project format is now MSBuild based, it isn't integrated into Visual Studio yet.  The standalone GUI is still the way to manage the project.  Even when I do release a VSPackage, the standalone GUI will still be provided.  As long as you've got .NET 3.5 installed, it will work.  The .NET 3.5 installer can be downloaded separately.  You'll find a link to it in the Installation Instructions topic in the help file.  The instructions for using SHFB from the command line or from within a post-build step in another project will apply regardless of the Visual Studio version you are using.  The Team Build information may also work with versions prior to TFS 2008.

Eric
Feb 22, 2009 at 8:08 PM
The problem too is I am restricted from installing .net 3 and 3.5.

Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2009 1:43 PM
To: jeff@orionfusion.com
Subject: Re: Could I Potentially Downgrade Project [SHFB:48129]

VS 2008 isn't part of .NET 3.5 and isn't required to use SHFB. As long as you've got .NET 3.5 installed, it will work. The .NET 3.5 installer can be downloaded separately. You'll find a link to it in the Installation Instructions topic in the help file. The instructions for using SHFB from the command line or from within a post-build step in another project will apply regardless of the Visual Studio version you are using. The Team Build information may also work with version prior to TFS 2008.

Eric
Coordinator
Feb 22, 2009 at 8:44 PM
Edited Feb 22, 2009 at 8:45 PM
For the time being you could make use of the SHFB 1.7.0.0 release.  It's built on .NET 2.0.  The difference is that it has the older XML based project format and uses the console mode builder executable for command line builds.

Eric