Problem with visibility of the plug-in

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 20, 2009 at 1:03 PM
Hi,

I have created my own plugin and then built it. However I don't know where should I copy the *.dll file with my  plugin. I do not have "%ProgramData%\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File
Builder\Plug-Ins\" and when I have created this directory and copied *.dll it still didn't work. I tried copying the file to the main folder of SHFB and also to the folder with shared files. 
I suppose, that after copying *.dll to the right place, I should be able to find my plugin in the PlugInConfigurations, but there are only plugins from SandcastleBuilder.PlugIns.dll. 
Where should I copy my *.dll file?

Coordinator
Feb 20, 2009 at 3:22 PM
Edited Feb 20, 2009 at 3:33 PM
Originally, I though this was a bug related to a missing backslash on the path but that was related to build components at build-time, not plug-ins in the configuration dialog.  As long as you've got the right folder for the corresponding OS, it should find the plug-ins.  Also, make sure your plug-in class is declared public.  If not, it won't find it and that may be your problem.

Eric
Feb 24, 2009 at 7:45 AM
The plug-in class is public (plugin is straight from your help). I have copied my *.dll with plugin to: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder\Plug-Ins (on Win XP), and I have next problem. When I have opened the PlugInConfigurations, the following massage appeared: No valid plug-ins found. After closing this window I have opened it again and everything was allright, but my plugin wasn't visible. When I have deleted the Plug-Ins folder there wasn't any massage, so I belive that SHFB can see a plug-in folder but it can't use it. What should I do ?
Coordinator
Feb 24, 2009 at 3:16 PM
Can you send me a copy of your plug-in so that I can try it out and see if I can duplicate the issue?  My e-mail address is in the About box and in the footer of the pages in the help file.

Eric