What's the best tag to indicate the version a member was introduced in?

Topics: User Forum
Dec 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I've been looking at the SHFB tags documentation, and I can't see anything which fits the bill here...

I'd like to document which versions of a library a particular member is present in. For the simplest purposes, this would just be a matter of specifying the first version it was present in. A more advanced scenario would include whether it's included in the PCL version or not. (In the future there may be even more complex scenarios, such as different PCL profiles... but I'll leave that for now.)

Is there a particular tag for this somewhere that isn't in the documentation? Any third party plug-ins anyone is aware of?
Coordinator
Dec 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM
There isn't an existing XML comments element that will document version history. The closest thing right now is the Version Builder plug-in. You can add that to the project from the Plug-Ins category of project properties. What it does is generate reflection data for prior versions of the assembly and merges it with the current project's information. The label and version assigned to each is used to produce a section similar to the framework/version section seen on MSDN topics.

The presentation styles are extensible so if something with more capabilities is needed based on comments in the code it is possible to define your own XML comments tags. Processing for those tags then needs to be added to the XSL transformations for the presentation style.

Eric
Dec 24, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Thanks very much for the swift reply. I suspect that it's going to be simplest to add our own custom XSL transformation - although frankly XSLT has always struck me as something of a dark art ;)

When I've put it into the Noda Time build process, I'll investigate whether it would make sense to turn it into an SHFB plugin.