Adding a welcome or default page

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 18, 2009 at 12:02 AM
Edited Feb 18, 2009 at 12:03 AM
I have not touched Sandcastle or Sandcastle Help File builder for some time.  I have upgraded to version 1.7.0.0 of Help File Builder.   I remember there was a very easy way of defining a welcome or default HTML page for my help file but I am just not seeing it in this version.  I noticed something in the help file called  Named URL Index Support but I don't really understand how to use it.

I guess I have to add

<xml xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt">
           <MSHelp:Keyword Index="K" Term="Welcome" />
           <MSHelp:Keyword Index="NamedUrlIndex" Term="HomePage"/>
           <MSHelp:Keyword Index="NamedUrlIndex" Term="DefaultPage"/>
</xml>

to the header block of my welcome html page?

But how do I get Help file Builder / Sandcastle to look at this page?

Coordinator
Feb 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM
You need to use a site map file or the Preview option in the Additional Content editor to mark one of the topics as the default topic.  See the Additional Content topics in the help file for more information.  The NamedUrlIndex stuff is more for Help 2 files.

Eric
Feb 21, 2009 at 12:32 AM
Thanks!   That did the trick.  I was in the right area.   I think the problem I was having was that I just was not seeing the button way on the right to display the dialog box.
Jul 1, 2009 at 6:25 AM

I'm using version 1.8.0.2 and can't find "Additional Content Editor". I have been looking for it for the past 30 minutes, can someone please let me know how to bring it up?

thanks alot.

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2009 at 3:03 PM

The project format changed in 1.8.0.0 to use an MSBuild format where the additional content files are now proper items in the project.  Please read the Version 1.8.0.0 - 1.8.0.2 release notes for a list of all changes related to the project format.  The v1.8.0.0 release notes contains a section noting where the properties and features went in the new release:  http://www.ewoodruff.us/shfbdocs/Index.aspx?topic=html/078cc1c7-7995-431e-bf9c-8813becbe8df.htm

Eric