MSDN Reference Links cannot be created because MSDN web service failed

Topics: User Forum
Dec 5, 2013 at 5:54 AM
Hi,

I have the following entry in the log:
Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2: ......... MSDN web service failed. No further look ups will be performed for this build.
Reason: Die Verbindung mit dem Remoteserver kann nicht hergestellt werden.
Es konnte keine Verbindung hergestellt werden, da der Zielcomputer die Verbindung verweigerte 65.52.103.105:80

English Exception should be:
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 65.52.103.105:80

When I try to browse to 65.52.103.105, it says "You do not have permission to view this directory or page."

Is there something wrong in the configuration? Where does the IP come from? Reverse lookup said that it is indeed a microsoft IP but is it correct?
Coordinator
Dec 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Edited Dec 5, 2013 at 3:18 PM
It may have been a temporary problem as it appears to be working fine for me. Trying to view the site address in a browser may not work since it is a web service and they've probably turned that option off. If you have a proxy server or something perhaps it is blocking your access to the web service. See the question "My build fails because I am behind a proxy server and it cannot connect to the MSDN web service. How do I fix it?" in the FAQ topic of the SHFB help file. It shows you how to modify the BuildAssembler.exe.config file to define the necessary settings to connect to the web service in that situation.

This is the actual site to get the web service WSDL. You should be able to bring it up in a browser: http://services.msdn.microsoft.com/ContentServices/ContentService.asmx?wsdl

Eric
Dec 6, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Hi Eric,

yes indeed, it was a proxy problem: The Account under which the document is created didn't have web access!
I tried with my account and the error disappeared, but now I have a different problem: Lots of messages similar to these:

Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2: [P:.......] MSDN URL not found for target 'T:System.Int32'.
Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2: [T:.......] MSDN URL not found for target 'T:System.Object'.
Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2: [T:.......] MSDN URL not found for target 'T:System.Exception'.

Note: I saw similar question with activated caching on older SHFB version, but I don't have any Components activated, so don't think it is the same problem...
Dec 6, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Hi Eric,

after I cleared the cache like you described in the other issue, it started to work! Probably there were some leftovers from before fixing the proxy-problem?

Anyway I can go on now! Thanks for the advices.