Building .shfbproj without installing SHFB

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 22, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Hi there,

I've created a .shfbproj & can build it using the GUI. But I want to be able to build via script on the build farm. Since the build farm has lots of machines, I prefer not to install SHFB on
all the systems. I've installed SHFB on my system & I can copy these files over the the build
systems. Can just copying over these files work ? I also did not find an command line to build the project. Any ideas on how to do this ?

Thanks
Coordinator
Nov 22, 2013 at 3:05 PM
You can XCOPY the content of the %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Sandcastle and %ProgramFiles(x86)%\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder folders to another PC and as long as you add the system environment variables DXROOT and SHFBROOT to point to the two locations respectively you can use MSBuild to build the SHFB project files. Note that if building Help 1 or Help 2 files the Help 1 and/or Help 2 compilers will need to be on the build server. The Help 1 compiler is typically available but the Help 2 compiler requires Visual Studio. See the guided installer for instructions on the related help compiler install pages. Website and MS Help Viewer output require no additional tools.

See Building Projects Outside the GUI in the help file for more information on using MSBuild with SHFB project files.

Eric