Missing reference links

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 18, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Just upgraded from to the latest With this new version I am not getting any links generated in the Syntax section on any of the shown members. This worked before. I am using the HTML generator with VS2010 style.
Nov 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM
It looks like the links were intentionally removed. Issue #33563: Remove Type Links from Syntax Section
Nov 18, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Edited Nov 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM
I understand for class members since parameters and return values are documented anyway but for classes that's not the case. Take this for example:
Public NotInheritable Class Button 
    Inherits CtcObjectBase 
    Implements ITopLayer, ISupportsScriptEvents, ISwBrdOperable
The class attributes and the implemented interfaces had helpful links before. How do you link to those now? This is a step backwards and even Microsoft's documentation has this issue. Lets not follow Microsoft's poor decisions blindly.
Nov 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM
I see that you can enable the links back with the "renderReferenceLinks" attribute to the SytnaxComponent configuration's syntax element. What/where is the syntax component and how to set this attribute? Looked in the SHFB project properties and can't find anything like this.
Nov 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM
The links in the syntax section were removed as noted in the work item because they don't work in MS Help VIewer (see the Request for Comments thread in that work item for background). That said, the links in the syntax section are largely redundant anyway as the type info is accessible elsewhere on the page, interface and attribute info excluded for the time being. The proper fix for the class topics would be to list the interfaces in the hierarchy section. Type links for attributes don't really fit anywhere so there's no real spot for them in any topic type.

If you want the option turned back on, you'll need to add the renderReferenceLinks attribute to the SHFB template files such as VS2010.config. On the syntax element in the configuration for Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.SyntaxComponent, add the attribute and set it to true. You'll find the presentation style configurations in the .\Templates subfolder of the SHFB installation folder.

Marked as answer by Perry68 on 11/18/2013 at 4:01 PM
Nov 18, 2013 at 11:00 PM
That worked. I put the links back in until someone updates the VS2010 template to display the implemented interfaces and attributes for classes. Shouldn't this flag be in the project properties so it can be saved with it? The current implementation requires we change the .config file every time we move to a new release.

Thanks for the help.
Nov 19, 2013 at 12:25 AM
I saw no reason to put it in the project properties since as noted the links are mostly redundant plus the lack of interest for keeping them in the Request for Comments thread. I'll see about getting the interface info into the class topics.

You could clone the presentation style and have it treated as a custom presentation style with your changes. That would save you from having to fix the templates in each new release. You would still have to merge fixes from the new release into the custom style though.