Linking from conceptual help to namespaces summary

Topics: User Forum
Feb 12, 2009 at 10:43 PM
I'm using the suggested NamespaceDoc approach to document the namespaces. I know how to link from the Conceptual Help to the help for a given namespace:
<codeEntityReference>N:MyNameSpace</codeEntityReference>

What I want to do is link from the Conceptual Help to the "Namespaces" topic that is provided as the home topic for the namespace documentation. This topic has the title "Namespaces,"  followed by a table that lists all the namespaces and provides a brief description of each one.
In the toc.xml file it has the id "R:Project".

I have tried using <codeEntityReference>R:Project</codeEntityReference> but this causes a buld failure. I have also tried using <link xlink:href= /> with
the value of the file attribute shown in toc.xml, but this doesn't work. I've even tried a <referenceLink>R:Project</referenceLink> statement found in the SharedBulderContent file, but that didn't work either.

I must be missing something obvious. Is there a way to do this?

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2009 at 11:58 PM
It would appear that the LinkTextResolver used by the ResolveReferenceLinks2 component can't handle the "R:Project" link target because it isn't a type it recognizes.  You can open a work item in the Sandcastle project to report the issue.  The <link> element only works for conceptual topics.  As a workaround, use an <externalLink> to the "R:Project" filename like this:

<externalLink>
    <linkText>Namespaces List</linkText>
    <linkUri>d4648875-d41a-783b-d5f4-638df39ee413.htm</linkUri>
    <linkTarget>_self</linkTarget>
</externalLink>

Eric
Feb 13, 2009 at 2:18 PM
Thank you, the workaround does the trick nicely.