Error: Unresolved assembly reference

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Feb 5, 2009 at 4:11 PM
So I finally ended up with sandcastle and its help file builder... did read out well... did install propper... looked straight forward.
But trying to generate my first helpfile I received an error:

<buildStep step="GenerateReflectionInfo">
Generating reflection information...
[D:\Amicra_Tools\EVA\EVA_TEST_01\Help\Working\GenerateRefInfo.bat]
MrefBuilder (v2.4.10520.1)
Copyright &#184; Microsoft 2006
Info: Loaded 1 assemblies for reflection and 0 dependency assemblies.
Error: Unresolved assembly reference: BR.AN.PVIServices (BR.AN.PVIServices, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null) required by EVAcomm
    Last step completed in 00:00:00.6875
</buildStep>
<buildStep step="Failed">

BUILD FAILED: Unexpected error in last build step.  See output above for details.

</buildStep>

WTF? Can anyone give me hint whats to do in this case? Help apreciated!
Coordinator
Feb 5, 2009 at 4:26 PM
You need to add the indicated assembly to the Dependencies property (v1.7.0.0) or the References project node (v1.8.0.0).  This lets the MRefBuilder tool find dependencies that it can't resolve automatically.  See the Getting Started sections in the help file along with the FAQ as they cover most of the basic questions and problems like these.

Just so you know, v1.8.0.0 allows you to add solutions and project files as documentation sources.  That allows the help file builder to figure out what references are needed automatically and pass them on to the Sandcastle tools.  I'll probably be releasing the v1.8.0.1 Beta later today.  The Getting Started info is also more comprehensive in the new help file so you might want to read through them rather than the older version's topics.

Eric
Feb 7, 2009 at 11:56 PM
Thanks this helped me out.

I never saw in the Sand Castle Builder GUI the dependencies field. It seems to give you a couple ways to add your file in. One of the is GAC? What is that stand for and what is a GAC .dll?
Coordinator
Feb 8, 2009 at 12:36 AM
GAC = Global Assembly Cache

Eric