viewing generated HTML during the build

Topics: User Forum
Sep 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM
If I'm building a VS2005-style website with SHFB changeset 103877 and open one of the generated HTML files (from Help\Working\Output\Website\html) to a web browser during the build, it looks rather bad because SHFB has not yet copied the CSS and graphic files. IIRC, that worked better in the 1.9.7.0 release.

I suspect this is a side effect of a change mentioned in the comments for changeset 103877:
  • Reworked the build steps so that standard content is copied later in the build. This allows for presentation styles to define their own standard content such as for website output and templates can have substitution tags replaced. Project content will still override the standard content if present as in prior releases.
I'm not filing this as an issue, because I don't know if it's possible to get the benefits of that change without delaying the copy so much.

I suppose I could work around this by viewing the files through a local web server and configuring virtual directories so that the standard content appears to be there even if SHFB has not copied it yet. Or something similar with junctions or symbolic links. It would be a bit cumbersome to set up though.
Coordinator
Sep 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM
The copying of the standard content is now delayed for the reasons noted. Viewing the content from the working folder while the build is active has always been unsupported since there are a multitude of things that can go on there during a build and it cannot be guaranteed that its in a complete and viewable state.

Eric