Binding Web Help Files to VC# F1 Help

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 30, 2009 at 11:05 PM

First I'd like to say thanks - Help File Builder is a massive improvement to Sandcastle's usability, and is making it a lot easier to get started with Sandcastle.

I do have a quick question though.  We've generated our web help files and are hosting them in our test environment without a problem.  However we're not sure how to tie the web files to Visual C#'s in-editor help, so our question is:

How do we tell Visual C# or the Visual Studio Help app to look for our custom urls when help is requested for classes in our namespaces?

Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks,

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:48 AM
I'm pretty sure the only way to reference help from within Visual Studio is to create a Help 2 file and register it with the necessary help collections.  I don't think there is a way to get it to look up topics in a website.  See the Deploying an HTML Help 2 File topic for information on using H2Reg to deploy and register a Help 2 file.  You'll find it in the Project Properties section under the HTML Help 1 and 2 Category Properties topic.  Also review the help for the HTML Help 2 category properties as it is important that they are set correctly (i.e. adding a default set of attributes to the HelpAttributes property).