Error HXC3023: ... Failed to open file html\[MyFileName].htm.

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Aug 25, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Hi,

I'm using version 1.9.7.0 on Win 7 64.

I have added to my project a bunch of Html files, they have all automatically got the following properties:
Build Action = Content
ExcludeFromTOC = False

The project succeeds with the compilation until it reaches the following "Compiling MS Help 2 file", then it fails with the following errors:
[MyPath]\Ndoc\HelpFiles\Working\Build2xHelpFile.proj(62,5): error MSB6006: "HXCOMP.EXE" exited with code 2.
Microsoft Help Compiler Version 2.07.61224.0 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp.

Error HXC3023: File [MyPath]\Ndoc\HelpFiles\Working\Output\MSHelp2\SDK.Help.HxT, Line 0, Char 0: Failed to open file html\SDKOverview.htm.

Please note that the html files are located in folder near the project!!

TIA – Albert.
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Check the log file to be sure that the files were actually copied. You might also check further back in the log from the Help 2 Compiler output to see if perhaps there is an error that occurred that did not stop the build.

The HTML additional content mode has been deprecated for a long time. As I recall, there may be issues with HTML additional content if you don't include a site map file that explicitly defines its layout and sets a default topic. If you can, convert the HTML to MAML topics using the HTML to MAML converter. With it and a content layout file, there are no issues.

Eric
Aug 26, 2013 at 6:46 AM
Check the log file to be sure that the files were actually copied. You might also check further back in the log from the Help 2 Compiler output to see if perhaps there is an error that occurred that did not stop the build.
The log states for success, yet, I can see that the file is copied to [MyPath]\Ndoc\Help\Working\Output\MSHelp2\Introduction (which is the folder containing the file in the project Explorer) , while the error description that compiler looks for the file at [MyPath]\Ndoc\Help\Working\Output\MSHelp2\html\
If you can, convert the HTML to MAML topics using the HTML to MAML converter
Can you please offer me a method? there is a web site which does this, yet, I'm not really comfortable of using it.

TIA - Albert.
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2013 at 7:49 PM
There's a tool that can be installed along with the Sandcastle tools (HTML to MAML converter). Just run the Sandcastle_2730.msi file and you should be able to chose the Change option and select the HTML to MAML converter if you didn't install it initially. You'll find the help file in the Sandcastle Tools group in the Programs Menu. It along with the tool (command line based) can both be found in %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Sandcastle\Extras. The help file describes how to use it and the follow up actions that may need to be taken to fix up any issues in the converted topics.

Eric