VS2012

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jul 4, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Hi,
I have installed the newest version. However there is no Documentation Project Template in Visual Studio 2012 and by attempt to open existing project (VS2010) in VS2012 comes the message "Not supported ...".
Thanks,
Vladimir
Coordinator
Jul 4, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Go to Tools | Extensions and Updates and select the Installed category. If you don't see SHFB listed there, it isn't installed. To install it, run the guided installer and when you get to the Visual Studio package step, make sure VS 2012 is selected as an option. Note that if Visual Studio was open when you ran it, you may need to close and restart it so that it detects the new package.

Eric
Jul 5, 2013 at 5:53 AM
Hi Eric,

there is no SHFB entry listed there. However, the wizard sad "The package was installed successfully".

The VS was closed during installation, but the wizard complaind by the first try about running VS (it was run earlier
but closed before installation start).
After that I have run the installation right after restarting my computer
and all steps were reported as successful.

However it is not installed in the VS2012.

I still have VS2010 installed on the same computer and I have actually selected both (Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 2011 that
for some reason on the MAML tab is labelled as Beta) for SHFB.
In VS2010 I have now a second entry under Documentation tab "New Project from other Format" along with an older "Sandcastle Help File Builder Project".

Vladimir
Coordinator
Jul 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM
It sounds like they are not installed properly. I suggest removing the package from VS2010 using the Extensions and Updates tool in Visual Studio and restarting it to ensure that it is removed. I'll assume you have downloaded the latest release. If not, do so as it contains the latest updates and fixes. You can run the VSIX installer manually by going into the .\InstallResources folder that's part of the guided installer and running the SHFBVisualStudioPackage_1970.vsix file manually. It will prompt you to select which version of Visual Studio in which to install it.

If that doesn't work, something could be messed up with the Visual Studio settings. You can use the Tools | Import and Export Settings option and select the Reset All Settings option to reset Visual Studio to its default state. That should clear up any settings issues. Once done, you can reinstall the VSIX package.

Eric
Jul 8, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Thanks. It works now.
Vladimir