BUILDASSEMBLER : error : The target attribute is missing or has no value

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
May 2, 2013 at 7:39 PM
I receive the following error message:
BUILDASSEMBLER : error : The target attribute is missing or has no value [C:\Development\Base\Help\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj]
Diagnostic: CopyFromIndexComponent: "reflection" in-memory cache entries used: 13 of 15.
Diagnostic: CopyFromIndexComponent: "comments" in-memory cache entries used: 4 of 30.

It looks like it is a different issue from the previous post about <seealso cref=null/> since I have nothing like that.

Dev environment: VS2012 update2
Sandcastle version: 1.9.7.0
Coordinator
May 2, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Edited May 2, 2013 at 8:21 PM
It can be any element that has a missing or empty cref value (see, seealso, exception). Set the BuildAssembler Verbosity project property to show informational messages. The member ID that is shown just before the error is the one that's causing the problem. Using that ID, you should be able to track down the member in your code with the bad comments and fix them up. I've converted the error back to a warning for the next release.

Eric
May 2, 2013 at 8:49 PM
I don't have any empty cref value, but I may have some typos on some cref values. Is that what you mean "missing"?

Thanks for your help.
Coordinator
May 3, 2013 at 3:05 AM
No, missing means either that the cref attribute is not even specified or that it is set to an empty string. Invalid links will just result in the usual unknown reference link warning. You could check the XML comments file to see what the comments for the indicated member look like in case the compiler is generating a bad link. I'd expect to see a warning from the compiler in that case.

Eric
May 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM
My problem was that I had used 'member' instead of 'cref' as the attribute name.
Without this thread I would never have found the cause of the problem.

A more helpful error message, and the option to make it just a warning, would be much appreciated.
Coordinator
May 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM
The error has been converted back to a warning for the next release with a better message that gives a hint as to the cause of the problem.

Eric