Suppressing "TODO" comments from appearing in the compiled documentation.

Topics: User Forum
Apr 18, 2013 at 5:13 AM
Hi all,

I've run into a bit of an issue with "TODO:" comments appearing in the documentation compiled in Sandcastle.

I realise it's not Sandcastle's fault that the comments are there in the first place, however I was wondering if anyone knows of a phase in the Visual Studio compilation or in Sandcastle's where a single-line "/// TODO: ..." can be suppressed without forcible removal.

I imagine it would perhaps need to be prior to the VS XML strip/compile to avoid them being merged into the other content.

Having searched high and low I've not managed to find anyone with a similar need or any feature that appears to address it.

Failing that I'll need to strip and relocate them, which I was hoping to avoid.

Thanks for any insights anyone can offer - just tell me if I'm being silly.
Steele
Apr 18, 2013 at 7:51 AM
I expect sandcastle is seeing the triple / you have used. Try replacing "/// TODO" with "// TODO". "///" is used only for xml comments normally.
Coordinator
Apr 18, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Anything within the XML comments will end up in the XML comments file created by the compiler and thus the help file if it's within a recognized element. It's typically best to place such TODO comments outside the XML comments block using standard comments unless you really want them included as a reminder. You could write a plug-in to strip them assuming they are always only a single line but it's probably quicker and easier to just do a global search and move them.

Eric