Specify a topic folder per documentation source assembly?

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Hello,

I'm building on a corporate framework that provides some custom class libraries.
The asemblies and namespace are like this :
  • Corp.Shared
    o Corp.Shared.A.Class11
    o Corp.Shared.B.Class22
    o Corp.Shared.Namespace1.Class11
    o Corp.Shared.Namespace2.Class22
  • Corp.Shared.Controls
    o Corp.Shared.Controls.Namespace1.Class11
    o Corp.Shared.Controls.Namespace2.Class22
  • Corp.Shared.Utils
    o Corp.Shared.Utils.Namespace1.Class11
    o Corp.Shared.Utils.Namespace2.Class22
However, after the build, all namespaces from all sources are mixed in the documentation :

o Corp.Shared.A.Class11
o Corp.Shared.B.Class22
o Corp.Shared.Controls.Namespace1.Class11
o Corp.Shared.Controls.Namespace2.Class22
o Corp.Shared.Namespace1.Class11
o Corp.Shared.Namespace2.Class22
o Corp.Shared.Utils.Namespace1.Class11
o Corp.Shared.Utils.Namespace2.Class22

In order to avoid this behavior, I would like to put in separate folders the generated documentation (1 folder per assembly).

Is it possible and how?

In a more general manner, I would like to know if it possible to control the target folder of the documentation. Basically, I would like to put my automatically generated reference under a specific folder like "Root-->Reference-->Reference for assembly Corp.Shared"

thanks in advance
Coordinator
Mar 11, 2013 at 5:59 PM
There isn’t currently a way to do that. More likely than not, you’d have to alter the presentation style to add information for the project and assembly pages as well as alter how the TOC XML was generated. It’s possible that you’d also have to create a new document model transformation and apply it to the reflection data to generate information for the assemblies so that the presentation style could use it similar to how it generates information for overload pages (i.e. generate an assembly entry and list the types that it contains).

If your second question is in regard to parenting the API topics to a specific conceptual (MAML) topic, you can do that by setting the option on the topic in the content layout file to specify that the API content should be inserted before, after, or as a child of the selected topic. However, it's an all or nothing case here too and there are no provisions for parenting various parts of the API content on different conceptual topics. In this case it is possible you could create a plug-in to move the information around as it wouldn't require the presentation style to generate any extra topics for the assemblies.

Eric