Associating Additional Page of Info with a Class or Member

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 12, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Edited Feb 12, 2013 at 2:30 AM
We'd like to add a page of additional information at the same level as a Class Members node in the generated API documentation.

I can create this as a .AML file, but how do I ensure that it appears in the TOC next to the Members API reference?

It seems like I need a Content file but does that mean I need to manually construct a complete TOC just to specify the location of one additional page?

I keep wondering if there's a way to insert a reference in the embedded code comments to somehow haul this additional info into the .CHM file build.

Thanks for any pointers,

Ken
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2013 at 7:33 PM
There's no way to do it by default. You could write a plug-in to do it though. The MAML topics would still go in a content layout file and then perhaps as the configuration of your plug-in, give it a topic ID and a member ID to which it is related. Another more automated approach would be to insert a custom XML comments element in the class comments that indicate the topic to move. You could scan the comments files and create the list within the plug-in at build time. Your plug-in could take the intermediate TOC, locate the MAML topic ID and move it to the proper location in the related API TOC section. Although not completely the same, you could use the Hierarchical TOC plug-in as a reference to get started as it modifies the intermediate TOC file too.

Eric