VB 6.0 & C++ Project

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Hey Guys,

I have been working on a huge legacy (Visual Basic 6.0 + C++ Libraries) Project, I was wondering if i can document this huge project using sandcastle including the interaction between vb & c++ or not?

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:09 PM

You could use it to document the interactions and usage with conceptual content (MAML topics) but for the API reference, Sandcastle is only capable of documenting managed code assemblies.  It can't handle native code assemblies.  Many people use Doxygen for that so you might give it a try.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Thanks Eric for your reply, but i couldn't find anything related to add vbp (Visual Basic Project) or vbw (Visual Basic Workspace) so that the tool would just pickup the project and start documenting it.

Can you please provide me with a quick guide to do this vb6.0 documentation for a test project for example.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM

If you're asking about SHFB, as I said it can only document managed code assemblies (.NET).  It won't work for C++ or VB 6.0.  If you're asking about Doxygen, I can't help you either as I don't use it.  If you just want to create conceptual documentation that describes how the projects work together, you can do that.  You'd add the Additional Content Only plug-in to the project so that it only generates conceptual content at build time, you'd add a content layout file to the project to contain the layout for the topics, and then you'd add MAML topics files to write the documentation.  If you are interested in that, see the Conceptual Content topics in the SHFB help file.  If you need help getting started with MAML, the Sandcastle MAML Guide installed as part of the Sandcastle tools contains information on that.