How to compile with msbuilder when the project have plugin ?

Topics: Developer Forum
Jan 10, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Edited Jan 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Hello everybody,

I'm doing a help site for a project for my compagny with Sandcastle.

We allready made a new style, translated the VS2005 one in french (there is still some hardcoded english in it by the way), made a custom style from this base and so on.

We commited the style and the source of our sandcastle project on an SVN server. Then we commited a .bat file to compile the project via msbuild.

This .bat work flawlessly, when used on a pre-installed sandcastle computer like mine. The problem is when I want to compile from a computer where sandcastle is not installed, the batch fails like this :

SHFB: Error BE0028: Plug-in loading errors:
Error: Unable to locate plug-in 'Additional Content Only' or it is of a version that is not supported by this version of the help file builder
Error: Unable to locate plug-in 'Additional Reference Links' or it is of a version that is not supported by this version of the help file builder

So I am imagining that I could put some missing dlls somewhere on these no-sandcastle computers (and then register these dlls) so msbuild could compile the sandcastle project.

Am I rigth ? If so, what dll files should I seek on my computer to put on the SVN ?

Coordinator
Jan 10, 2013 at 3:09 PM

The Additional Content Only plug-in is one of the standard ones supplied with SHFB.  The tools have to be located somewhere even if you just copy them to the build server.  Most likely you just need to define the DXROOT and SHFBROOT environment variables so that they point to the location of the Sandcastle and SHFB tools respectively in your script so that SHFB can find everything.

Eric

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Edited Jan 11, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Thank you Eric ! Sandcastle is a wonderful software by the way !

We are trying to install Sandcastle on the SVN computer in a new folder, and we would give that folder's access rigths to developers' computers. When this is done, I'll tell you how that works and if we can deploy the help site from the SVN to customers'.