Conceptual Only Documentation?

Dec 8, 2008 at 10:35 PM
I tried to create a CHM contaning only conceptual topics. I get an error that at least one assembly must be specified. I just want to use conceptual topics.
Dec 9, 2008 at 12:20 AM
Add the Additional Content Only plug-in to the project using the PlugInConfigurations project property.  It suppresses all of the build steps related to the reference content so that you can produce help files containing nothing but additional and/or conceptual content.

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:02 AM
Thanks man! Maybe you have an answer to the root of this issue.

The problem is that the API I am documenting is a web service API which consists of a few methods (defined in WSDLs) and a hierarchy of messages (defined in XSDs) and when we let sandcastle document the proxy classes generated by svcutil it doesn't look anything like what we want it to look like. So, instead of doing auto-generated docs I am looking now to just using conceptual topics and organizing them according to service/messages as I like.

Is there a standard for documenting web services and messages (from both bottom up and top down perspectives) and does sandcastle support this or am I in fairly uncharted waters?
Dec 9, 2008 at 7:36 PM
I've never generated code and/or comments off of a WSDL or XSD file for use with Sandcastle so I can't say if there's a better way to do it or not.  If it's a .NET web service and you've got the code for the actual web service with XML comments, that may be a better choice.  If it's website based rather than application based (i.e. it only produces a set of assemblies when published), the custom code providers found at the the Sandcastle Styles project site may help.  You might also ask over in the Sandcastle discussion page to see if anyone is doing something similar.