Issue with generating Class Reference contents

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Dec 24, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Hi,
We have used the third party documentation compiler tool ( sandcastle) for generating the class reference contents. we have some issues while generating the class reference for our assemblies.  we have  generated the class reference contents with (.mshc) files extension using sandcastle and integrate into the visual studio help viewer(1.1). For some of the assemblies the generated contents have multiple occurrence's of same contents (duplicate entries (methods,properties,namespaces)).  In order to check the issue i have build the class reference contents with (.hxs) extensions and configured with help viewer. For the .Hxs output format generated contents have no duplicate entries and it works fine. Could you please help me on this issue?

Please find the error details in the screenshot:

http://www54.zippyshare.com/v/12447252/file.html

Regards,

Siva 

Coordinator
Dec 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Based on your description, I can only speculate.  If you have documented multiple assemblies and produced multiple help files containing one or more of the same assemblies as documentation sources, then each of those help files will contain duplicate topics with duplicate IDs.  As such, you will see odd behavior from MS Help Viewer as it's probably showing all of the duplicate topics.  If such is the case, the solution would be to factor the common assemblies out into their own help file and add them as reference assemblies to the other projects that need them.  In order to produce links to topics in the reference assemblies, you'd need to use the Additional Reference Links plug-in too.

If the above is not the case, in order to properly diagnose the problem I need an example that I can build. If you can e-mail me one, I''ll look into the issue. My e-mail address is in the About box in the standalone GUI and in the footer of the pages in the help file.

Eric

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the update.

Could you please share a sample project that illustrate the common assemblies as reference link plug-in concept as you mentioned in your last update ?

" If such is the case, the solution would be to factor the common assemblies out into their own help file and add them as reference assemblies to the other projects that need them.  In order to produce links to topics in the reference assemblies, you'd need to use the Additional Reference Links plug-in too".

Regards,

Siva S

Coordinator
Dec 31, 2012 at 4:41 PM

There's really not much to demonstrate.

1. Create a SHFB Project and add the assemblies common to the other projects to it as documentation sources.  Remove them as documentation sources from the other projects.

2. In each of the other projects, add the Additional Reference Links plug-in to the Plug-In Configurations.

3. Configure the plug-in by adding the project created in step 1 with an appropriate link type.  For MS Help Viewer, that would be Id.

4. Build all three projects and install the content in MS Help Viewer.

As I said, if you still have problems,send me a small example that demonstrates the issue.  Otherwise, I'm just guessing at what the problem is.

Eric