Can't link to local SDK help

Topics: Developer Forum
Nov 25, 2008 at 12:47 AM
I can't seem to get my help file to link correctly to the local SDK help files, I get this error when I click on link for say a 'T:System.String' type:

Sorry, no topics were found for the selected link.

Keywords = "T:System.String"
IndexMoniker =
Source URL =

I've tried all variations of the various link properties to no avail.  I can get it to link to the Online topics if I set the 'SdkLinkType' to Msdn.  However I need to be able to link to the local MSDN files as the users of the help file won't necessarily have access to the internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:12 AM
Index links will only work in Help 2 (HxS) files.  There are no provisions for linking to local MSDN topics using Help 1 (CHM) files.  If it is a Help 2 file, I don't recall for sure but it could be that index links won't actually work until it is integrated into the help collection.

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:23 PM
I don't know if it is possible to make the index links working outside the HTML Help 2 viewer. I took another way how to refer to the local MSDN library from the CHM or Web output formats. MSDN for VS 2005 includes a page redirector. For example, here would be the URL navigating to the class System.Object: ms-help://MS.VSCC.v80/dv_commoner/local/redirect.htm?keyword="T:System.Object";?index="!DefaultAssociativeIndex". I wrote a post-processing plugin for SHFB converting the index links to such HTML links.

I have to think of something for VS 2008 because there seems not to be any redirector "MS.VSCC.v90" working there...