Missing topics with VS2010 style

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 30, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I've encountered a strange issue with the VS2010 style in SFHB  I have a Silverlight project made up with a few assemblies.  When I build MSHV output with the VS2005 style, I get about 3000 HTML files built in the output directory.  

When I use the VS2010 style, I only get about 1000 of them.  When I view the output in MSHV, the navigation pane TOC is incomplete, although the full namespace list is generated.  Clicking any of the missing items brings up a file not found page.

Is there anything to look out for that might cause this?  I can provide a sample project if needed.

Bonus question: Is the VS2010 style compatible with MSHelp2?  I've always gotten errors trying to build it.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:44 PM

If you downloaded v1.9.5.0 prior to October 13th, uninstall it and Sandcastle and download the refresh that was published on that date.  It contains a couple of fixes, one related to Help Viewer though not specifically with the table of content.  If it doesn't work, send me the example.  My e-mail address is in the About box in the standalone GUI and the footer of the pages in the help file.

Regarding VS2010 with MS Help 2, the BuildAssembler configuration files are missing a component for that format so the output isn't valid.  I've fixed that and it will be compatible with MS Help 2 in the next release.

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Thanks Eric,

I've sent along a sample project.

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I tried your test project out using my latest internal release and everything appears to be okay and the output matches between the VS2005 and VS2010 styles.  I've changed a significant amount of stuff for the next release but I don't recall changing anything that would affect the number of topics generated.  I'll have the new release out in a couple of weeks.  If you need it sooner, all the current changes are in source control if you wanted to attempt building Sandcastle and SHFB from the source.  Just be aware that there are some breaking changes with regard to the Code Block and Post-Tranform component for the next release (remove and re-add the code block component and reconfigure it and remove the post-transform component).

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Thanks for looking into this.

I wasn't able to get SHFB from source working correctly on my home computer, but I did get it running on my work computer.  I can confirm that at least in the standalone SHFB client with 11/26 source, all of my topics are building in the VS2010 style.  I don't want to mess with the VSIP, so when a new official release is out, I will also verify with that.