License for distributing sandcastle style components

Topics: User Forum
Nov 21, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Hi,

just to clarify:

If I distribute documentation that uses the VS 2008 style (or any other), what are the exact license terms for bundling the stylesheets/JavaScript/images? Specifically:

- Do I have to include a notice (if yes: What and Where)?

- If I modified one of these files, do I have to mention that?

Regards

JM

Coordinator
Nov 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM

The help files produced are just the end result of using the tools so there's no need to include a copyright notice for SHFB or Sandcastle anywhere within the compiled help files or anything else you distribute with them.  If you modify the transformation or script files used to produce them or that get compiled into them, just leave any existing copyright notices in place but no need to mention it anywhere.

If you distribute the source code for SHFB or Sandcastle or perhaps clone one of the presentation styles or components and distribute them for use by others to produce their own help files, then you'd have to comply with the terms of the Ms-PL license with regard to leaving copyrights in place, distributing a copy of the license, etc.  In short, the license covers the source code and tools but not the help files and websites you produce with them.

Eric