Building Outputs 'hana' Style Instead of VS2010

Topics: User Forum
Nov 8, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Sandcastle Version: 2.7.1.0

Sandcastle Help Builder Version: 1.9.5.0

Issue: When I try to build with PresentationStyle=vs2010, the build uses hana instead.

Background: I have installed Sandcastle and Sandcastle Help Builder on machine1 (Windows 7) and on machine2 (Windows Server 2008 R2)  I have it pointing over the network to the install directory on machine1. When I build on machine1, everything is correct and it builds with PresentationStyle vs2010 as it should from the project file. However when I build on machine2, it uses hana instead of vs2010, but does build successfully.

Has anyone had this issue? Or even trying to build from a remote location?

Thanks,

scmbuildguy

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Both Sandcastle and SHFB use environment variables to locate the tools (SHFBROOT for SHFB and DXROOT for Sandcastle).  You can override the Sandcastle path with the SandcastlePath project property.  If any of those is set incorrectly, you may end up with incorrect behavior.  Hana isn't typically the default if it can't find the presentation style folder.  Normally, it defaults to Prototype.  Unless you have a good reason for using a remote share, you'd be better off just XCOPYing the tools over to the server and setting the environment variables to point to the local paths.

Eric

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Edited Nov 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM

So I have copied both Sandcastle and sandcastle help builder to the local drive, but I still get the same result. When I turn on logging to diag for the msbuild process I can see all the values set, including "PresentationStyle = vs2010", in the msbuild log. As for the SHFB log (LastBuild.log) I have the following:

<buildStep step="FindingTools">
Finding tools...
Found Sandcastle tools in &#39;E:\tools\thirdparty\windows\sandcastle_2.7.1.0\&#39;
Found HTML Help 1 compiler in &#39;E:\\tools\\thirdparty\\windows\\HTMLHelpWorkshop\&#39;
</buildStep>
<buildStep step="CopyStandardContent">
Copying standard help content...
E:\tools\thirdparty\windows\sandcastle_2.7.1.0\Presentation\hana\icons\adm.gif

I can see that it looks like the environment seems to be set correctly, but it is not passing in the correct PresentationStyle value. Are there any other debug flags I can set for SHFB that will allow me to see the point within the build where it sets which style it is going to use?

Thanks for the help

scmbuildguy

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Edited Nov 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I went ahead and did a full install of SHFB, on machine2 and now it works! :| I used the same variables and it is still pointing to the other copy of the sandcastle, so there is something else being set or installed which is telling the system it can use 2010 style. Now I just need to know what it is so I dont have to install SHFB on all the Windows build and developer machines...

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM

The next release doesn't use the same method of determining the presentation styles.  It reads the info in from a configuration file.  Chances are that whatever is not working in the current release won't happen in the next one because of the changes made to how it determines the available styles.

Eric