Document library for multiple platforms

Topics: User Forum
Oct 12, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I have a library that supports both .NET 4 and Silverlight 5. Should I go and create one help project for each platform or what is the best way to approach this?

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Separate projects are an option but you can also combine their API content using the Version Builder plug-in.

Eric

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Thanks, that sounds promising.

I tried using it but am apparently missing something.

I have the main project specified as .NET 4 and thus entered '.NET 4' in the framework label box, and 2012.10 in the version box.

I created a project for the silverlight bits and specified that as FrameworkLabel Silverlight 5 and version 2012.10, but then then I see an error message saying something along the lines of a prior version cannot match the current project's version. (And cannot click OK)

As they are (and should be) indeed the same version but different framework/platform, how to get around this?

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I don't recall exactly why that requirement is there but it is necessary.  If duplicate version numbers are present, it doesn't work properly even if the framework label is different.  I think I may be using the platform/framework label information incorrectly so I'll need to go back and review that at some point.  The workaround is to leave the Framework Label values blank and put the framework value in the version field too (i.e ".NET 4.0 2012.10" and "Silverlight 5 2012.10").

Eric