This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

v1.9.4.0 Version Builder Crashes VS 2012

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Sep 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I have a scenario where there are six (6) version of an API, all targeting different frameworks.

  1. Windows Phone 7 Silverlight
  2. Windows Phone 7 XNA
  3. Windows Phone 7 (non-UI)
  4. Mono for Android
  5. MonoTouch
  6. Windows 8

Independently all of these build documentation properly. I was thrilled when the Win8 and Mono version compiled and were correct!

I've setup a new SHFB project, configured it for a documentation source (a seventh, staging library) and used the Version Builder plug-in to configure the other six. The other six all appear to build properly in that there are no visible errors output in VS or the logs. Once the six have built and the primary attempts to build, the Visual Studio instance running the build crashes, reports an error and the restarts.

My only clue thus far is the following errors visible in the event viewer.

<Event xmlns="">
		<Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
		<EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
		<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-09-27T23:54:16.000000000Z" />
		<Security />
		<Data>Application: devenv.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException Stack: at Microsoft.Build.Shared.ErrorUtilities.ThrowInvalidOperation(System.String, System.Object[]) at Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.ProjectCollection.UnloadProject(Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.Project) at SandcastleBuilder.Utils.SandcastleProject.Dispose(Boolean) at SandcastleBuilder.Utils.SandcastleProject.Finalize()</Data>



Sep 28, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Is the documentation project in the same solution that it's using as a documentation source?  For some reason, that does occassionally cause problems but not always.  Moving the documentation project into its own solution or changing it to reference only the projects within the solution seems to work around the issue.  Building from the command line may also work around the problem.  Would it be possible for you to create an example that duplicates the issue that you can send me or send me the failing projects so that I can see if I can fix the issue?  If you can, my e-mail address is in the About box in the standalone GUI and in the footer of the pages in the help file.



Sep 28, 2012 at 5:51 PM

All seven (7) projects are in a single isolated solution without any of the documentation source projects. The primary project has reference to the other six (6) projects. I haven't attempted a command-line build yet, but I'll try that next. I'll also attempt to replicate this in a manner that can be sent outside the organization so you can observe this scenario locally.

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM
Edited Sep 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply Eric. I tried your suggestion of running from the command line and the result is that XslTransform.exe consumes an average of 12% CPU time and averages a fluctuating 70MB private working set and at the time of this posting has been running for 10 minutes shy of two (2) hours.

As requested I've also emailed you with a redistributable reproduction of the original issue.

I have an isolated environment standing by to test any further suggestions and/or code changes should the need arise.

Can you think of anything else off hand that I can provide to help resolve or workaround this? Are there any log files that would be helpful or crash dumps? If you'd care to do a screen share I can demonstrate the issue almost anytime convenient for you after 4:30 PM Central.

Thanks again for looking into this and for the initial suggestions.

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Was any particular cause determined for this?

I have also encountered this issue with v. and VS2010.  Using Version Builder with a primary .NET project and dependent Silverlight project, I get the same exception when building the primary project.

Application: devenv.exeFramework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.InvalidOperation
ExceptionStack: � �at Microsoft.Build.Shared.ErrorUtilities.ThrowInvalidOperation(System.String, System.Object[]) � �at Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.ProjectCollection.UnloadProject(Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.Project) � �at SandcastleBuilder.Utils.SandcastleProject.Dispose(Boolean) � �at SandcastleBuilder.Utils.SandcastleProject.Finalize()
The project builds fine in the standalone SFHB program.

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:31 PM

To my knowledge there is no new status and the issue persists.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Unfortunately, the only test case I have will require me to build a VM to test it and I haven't gotten around to doing that.  If you have a simpler test case that runs on Windows 7, I'll take a look at it.  My e-mail address is in the About box in the standalone GUI and in the footer of the pages in the help file.



Nov 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I've sent you a VS2010 solution to reproduce the problem.  I haven't received any confirmation, so let me know if you have not received it.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Yes, I got it and was able to reproduce the problem.  It's fixed and will be in the next release.  The issue appears to be related to one that occurs in normal projects in Visual Studio that don't use Version Builder.  That one's fairly intermittent and I hadn't been able to reliably reproduce it either.  The fix for this one should take care of that one too.