Summary and seealso tags

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Sep 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Hi.

I am trying to add a call to a specific topic from my summary tag. Now I have this (only the relevant part):

'''<summary>
'''<seealso href="topic.htm" />
'''</summary>
But this code seems not to work. I can't see my topic at the See Also section on the generated help file.
I am using the VS2010 style.
How can I do that?
Regards,
Rinaldo
Coordinator
Sep 24, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Is your intent to link to an API member or to a custom HTML page that you've added to the project?  If you move the <seealso> tag outside the <summary> does it work then?

Eric

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Hi Eric.

I need to link to a custom HTML page. If I move the <seealso> tag outside the <summary> tag, I receive an error that the tag is invalid and will be ignored. Based on MSDN documentation, it seems that the <seealso> tag must be inside the <summary> tag.

Regards,

Rinaldo

Coordinator
Sep 24, 2012 at 4:34 PM

The seelaso tags can go outside or inside the summary.  I've always placed them outside since they don't render any content within the summary.  What is giving the error saying they aren't valid?  If it's Visual Studio, be aware that the href attribute is an extension that Visual Studio does not recognize.  I'm pretty sure Sandcastle supports them inside other elements too but I'll check.

Eric

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Thanks Eric, you are right.

I moved the <seealso> tag outside the summary and it works. In fact, the error I receive occurs on Visual Studio when I try to use <seealso cref='Topic.htm' />. The error message says:

"XML comment has a tag with a 'cref' attribute 'Topic.htm' that could not be resolved. XML comment will be ignored."

That's why I changed from cref to href.

Regards,

Rinaldo

Coordinator
Sep 24, 2012 at 7:17 PM

In that case, Visual Studio is correct.  The cref attribute is only valid for API member IDs.  The href attribute should be used for general HTML pages.

Eric