Error building project in VS2010

Topics: User Forum
Sep 14, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I am getting an error building the project inside Visual studio, but it works fine using the standalone GUI.

I added my solution as a documentation source, and when I build I get this

Building **************.Documentation.shfbproj

Initializing
ClearWorkFolder
FindingTools
ValidatingDocumentationSourcesSHFB(0,0): error BE0065: BUILD FAILED: The project XML file "*****Common.Utilities.Services.csproj" cannot be unloaded because at least one project ""*****Common.Utilities.Services.csproj" is still loaded which references that project XML.

Failed Build details can be found in *************Documentation\Help\LastBuild.log

The log is empty and I only have one instance of a Visual Studio open.  This project is used in another solution that also uses a sandcastle project setup identically and that one works.

I can't figure out what might have it loaded that is preventing the build from occurring.  Any ideas would be very helpful.

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Also removing my solution as the documentation source and/or enabling building only conceptual content works fine.

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2012 at 2:18 AM

I assume your documentation project is referencing the solution that it is in.  I haven't had any luck getting that to work and it doesn't appear to be supported for some reason by Visual Studio.  However, referencing the individual projects does work and I haven't had any issues doing that so give that a try.

Eric

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Interesting, I have another solution with a SHFB project that references the solution that it's in and that works just fine.  In fact, that solution is much larger and more complex than the solution that is failing.

Anybody else have success with the self-reference solution or is the project route the accepted way to go?

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM

That is odd.  I just tried it in a couple of projects and they work fine now with the solution as the documentation source.  I suppose it's possible it's related to the project type or configuration or perhaps it works until you do something within Visual Studio that locks the project XML in some way.  If the latter is the case, I would think closing the solution and re-opening it would work around the issue until that same set of circumstances was met again.

Eric