Sandcastle does not incorporate help content from .NET Framework language packs

Topics: Developer Forum
Sep 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM

How do I configure Sandcastle/SHFB to incorporate the .NET 4.0 Framework strings from a language pack into my help output (CHM)?

The following is typical of the output I get.  I'd want the italic text to display in Japanese.

名前 説明
 AccessibilityNotifyClients(AccessibleEvents, Int32) Notifies the accessibility client applications of the specified AccessibleEvents for the specified child control.
(Control から継承される)
 AccessibilityNotifyClients(AccessibleEvents, Int32, Int32) Notifies the accessibility client applications of the specified AccessibleEvents for the specified child control .
(Control から継承される)
 Activate Activates the form and gives it focus.
(Form から継承される)

I have installed the 4.0 language packs. I have specified the Help File Language in SHFB. I am using the latest Sandcastle and SHFB. I have the localized presentation files for Sandcastle and SHFB. I am using vs2005 presentation.

I don't know what else to check.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:20 AM

What language pack are you referring to? Is it the one that comes with the latest release of Sandcastle or some other generic .NET Framework language pack?  If it's the former, only the German language is currently available and it's only for strings related to Sandcastle, not the framework classes.  If it's the latter, I haven't put in any code specifically to look for framework language packs.  Currently, SHFB assumes the comments files are in the framework folders optionally under a sub-folder named after the language (ie. en\ or en-US\).  If that's not the case, it won't find the localized version.  Of course, a framework language pack would also need to contain translated comments files as opposed to just assemblies with translated resources.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:53 PM

The language packs are for the MS .NET 4.0 Framework.  I installed dotNetFx40LP_Full_x86_x64ja.exe  and I now have \ja folders containing resource dlls under C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319 and \Framework64\v4.0.30319. There are no translated comment files in these folders. 

I assume I'm not the first person to try to include .NET comments in a localized CHM built with Sandcastle. So I am stumped. Where do I get the comment files?

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:58 AM

You're the first to ask that I can recall.  Another place to check for assemblies and localized comments files is in the Reference Assemblies folder under the Program Files folder (i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework).  There may be several sub-folders there.  The most likely location is probably C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0.  I'm not sure where you'd ask to find out if localized comments files are available.