Visual Studio 2012 RTM Support?

Topics: Developer Forum
Aug 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Seeking clarification on Visual Studio 2012 support...

Is SHFB compatible with Visual Studio 2012 RTM?

If not, is there a planned release that includes this support?

Just wondering.

Coordinator
Aug 16, 2012 at 1:53 AM

SHFB is compatible with VS 2012.  I've tested it in a VM with Windows 8 RC and VS 2012 RC.  The guided installer won't recognize that it's installed as the folder structure is different for VS 2012 packages but if you start Visual Studio, it is there and does work.  If in doubt, just navigate to the folder containing the .vsix file and run it.  I'm not sure if there are issues with installing it if you have VS 2010 installed too.  However, you should be able to use the Visual Studio Version Selector tool from the "Open With..." option on the context menu to pick the version to use.

Eric

Aug 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Thanks Eric,

Here's my experience:

I'm running the RTM edition of Visual Studio 2012 Premium on a computer where VS 2010 Premium is also installed.

I re-ran the SHFB Guided Installer, and it recognized VS2012 as VS2011 beta, but it appeared to succeed.

When I open a solution containing a SHFB project, I get a dialog saying the project type is not compatible.

"Unsupported
This version of Visual Studio does not have the following project types installed or does not support them. You can still open these projects in the version of Visual Studio in which they were originally created.
  - Documentation, "C:\Users\DMcGloin\P4\...\Documentation\Documentation.shfbproj"
..."

When I try to create a new project, the SHFB templates do not appear to be installed.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2012 at 7:06 PM

As noted, try opening the .vsix file from Windows Explorer.  You may need to right click on it and use the Open With option and choose the version selector tool to get it to run the VS 2012 version of the VSIX installer.

Eric

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Oooooh! Sorry. I thought the *.vsix file was something different.

After running the SHFBVisualStudioPackage_1940.vsix file, it asked me to install it. I proceeded and it now appears to be working.

I ran the SHFBVisualStudioPackage_1940.vsix again to confirm, and a dialog indicates it's already installed.

I guess I expected the guided installer was doing this step, but just not recognizing that it was already installed.

In any case, thanks a bunch!

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Edited Aug 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Just wanted to throw this out there in case others are seeing this.

It seems that SHFB may be causing some stability issues in VS 2012.

When opening a solution with a SHFB project, VS 2012 would frequently crash while editing and debugging.

After uninstalling the SHFB extension, I'm no longer seeing any crashes.

I will continue to monitor and experiment to see if I can further isolate the issue.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:37 AM

This is also causing VS2012 to crash for me. 

Coordinator
Dec 12, 2012 at 2:56 PM

There's a known issue relate to the Test Explorer window.  See this work item for workarounds: http://shfb.codeplex.com/workitem/33494

I'm not aware of any other issues.  If there are any others, examples and steps to reproduce the problems would be helpful so that I can try to reproduce and fix them.

Eric

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I reinstalled SHFB after uninstalling it. VS 2012 and SHFB have been working well for a few months now.