Can I create a new style?

Oct 10, 2008 at 4:22 PM
Is it possible to extend the current styles?

I'd like to copy / paste the output inside a word document. I'd like to have a more basic formatting so that it looks good in print. Something like

<h1>Class ClassName</h1>
summary and remarks

table with namespace and inherits from information (interfaces, classes)

<h2>Method MethodName1</h2>
table with inputs, type and description

summary + remarks

</h2>Method Method Name 2</h2>

table with inputs, type and description

summary + remarks

etc.

Anyway, it seems that the styles are hard coded inside the tool. Did I miss something? Is there a tutorial on the web which instructs how to modify the current vs2005 style to a different style?

Should I just modify the Sandcastle vs2005.xslt and that will be good enough?

Thanks for pointers

Phil
Coordinator
Oct 10, 2008 at 7:33 PM
Edited Oct 10, 2008 at 7:35 PM
The style of the API topics is controlled by the presentation styles provided with Sandcastle itself, not the help file builder.  The VS2005.xslt file is for transforming additional content .topic files to match the selected style and has no bearing on the API topic formats.  You'll find the actual presentation style files in the C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation folder.

SHFB can work with custom styles as long as you include "prototype", "hana", or "VS2005" in the folder name and you place it in the C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation folder along with the default styles.  There are certain parts of the build process that differ based on the selected style (Prototype or Hana/VS2005) which is why one of those names still needs to be in the custom folder name to give the build engine a hint as to which way it should go.

Actually creating a new style is quite an undertaking as you must replicate everything that Sandcastle does with its default presentation styles in your custom transformations.  I know a few people have cloned one of the styles and made a few tweaks to its basic appearance but I'm not aware of anyone that has actuall created a new style from scratch.

Eric