Linking the framework from the conceptual content

Topics: User Forum
Jul 10, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Hi

I know this subject has been discussed already but I couldn't solve the issue. So here is the situation. 

I have mixed documentation that has the API documentation (reference in the Documentation Sources) and conceptual content. 

I have a conceptual topic where I would like to have a link to MSDN for the class Microsoft.IdentityModel.Claims.ClaimsPrincipal using 

<codeEntityReference autoUpgrade="true">T:Microsoft.IdentityModel.Claims.ClaimsPrincipal</codeEntityReference>

I can't add the Microsoft.IdentityModel to the Documentation Sources because this will result in generating the whole documentation for the Documentation Sources.

Is there a way to get this?

Coordinator
Jul 10, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Create a separate SHFB project and add the Microsoft.IdentityModel assembly to it as a documentation source along with any other assemblies it may depend on as needed.  Then, in your main project, add the Additional Reference Links plug-in to the PlugInConfigurations project property and configure it by adding the other project with a link type of MSDN.  That allows it to look up the reference links with the MSDN web service.  Assuming the web service knows about them, it will send back the appropriate URL to use for the link.  See the Additional Reference Links plug-in help topic for more information.

Eric

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Cool, that works nicely.

By the way links. I'm generating MS Help Viewer documentation that I then integrate with the Help Viewer 2. Despite of setting SDK link type as "ID links within the collection" the link still opens the MSDN in the browser. Is there a way to force it to stay within the help viewer?

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Make sure you selected the same setting in the plug-in's configuration for each included project.  I think it's MSDN by default.

Eric