VS 2005 presentation: Related Topics vs See Also

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:41 PM
I'm using the VS 2005 template with the <autoOutline/> tag. I notice that in a topic with a <relatedTopics> section, the autoOutline has a "Related Topics" link, but the section is actually called "See Also." 

For usability, the recommended practice is to make the link match the section title exactly.  Steve Krug talks about this in _Don't Make Me Think_  (see "The name needs to match what I clicked" at http://www.uvsc.edu/disted/decourses/mct/2740/IN/steinja/lessons/04/krug_chapter_06/krug_6_street_signs_breadcrumbs_01.html?m=1).

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:59 PM
Sorry, this belongs on the Sandcastle Styles discussion. (I'll get this right eventually. . .)
Sep 22, 2008 at 7:32 PM
No problem.  You can "fix" it by changing the text of the RelatedTopicsLinkText content item found in the Content\conceptual_content.xml file in each presentation style's folder.
Oct 12, 2009 at 4:31 PM

I do not want the See Also section to be included into the summary of the chapter that i built by means of the <autoOutline> tag. So, I updated the conceptual_content.xml file removing the See Also item from the <!-- autoOutline boilerplate --> section.

After I build the page, the See Also section is not displayed, but a bullet list item remains, like this:

This topic contains the following sections:

* section 1

* section 2

So, I do not want the empty item list be dsiplayed. How can this be fixed?

Oct 12, 2009 at 4:59 PM
Edited Oct 12, 2009 at 5:00 PM

This is addressed by the Sandcastle Styles patch.  It adds support for a new "lead" attribute on autoOutline which allows you to define the lead-in text and an "excludeRelatedTopics" attribute that suppresses the inclusion of the "See Also"/"Related Topics" item.

<autoOutline excludeRelatedTopics="true" />  <!-- Uses default lead in text, removes Related Topics -->

<autoOutline lead="In this topic:" /> <!-- Uses custom lead in text, includes Related Topics -->

<autoOutline lead="none" excludeRelatedTopics="true" />  <!-- No lead in text, removes Related Topics -->

Stuff like this is covered in the MAML Guide also available from the Sandcastle Styles project site.

Oct 12, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Thanks a lot! It worked and helped!