Windows 8 API reference

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jun 28, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I am trying to generate API reference for Win8 assemblies (build against .NETCore). Unfortunatelly, Sandcastle is unable to load the framework assemblies (Windows ver 255.255.255.255), which is actually WinMD file. Is there any known workarounds or any plans for extending in this direction.

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I do plan on supporting it but haven't looked into it yet.  It would be good if you could open a work item and attach a small example project that demonstrates the issue as I don't plan on doing any Windows 8 development for the forseeable future.  That will help me determine if I can support the references within the current framework definitions or if I need to handle it separately as I do for Silverlight and the Portable framework.

Eric

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Is there is any progress on this one? When can we expect SC to support .winmd assemblies compiles for WinRT?

Coordinator
Nov 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Support for Windows Store App projects that generate a .EXE or .DLL file is present and working in the current release as is support for .winmd files as reference assemblies.

Support for .winmd files as documentation sources was added on Oct 27 and the changes have been checked in.  I haven't published a new release containing those changes but probably will within the next couple of weeks.  A number of other significant changes have also been made that I'm in the process of documenting.  If you choose to download and build the code, I can't realistically provide support for it yet as I haven't finalized and tested all of the changes.  I'm in the process of doing that now.

The workaround for the time being is to make a copy of the .winmd file with a .dll extension.  As noted in the check-in notes, I'm not sure if this was worthwhile as a majority of the user written code in the assembly is marked as compiler generated and thus does not show up in the help file, at least that's what happened in the test project I created but it was just a Hello World type of thing just to use for a test. I may need an option to include compiler generated code. We'll see how it's used.  A proper project with actual code would also be of help in that case too.

Eric