Problem with Visual Studio 2012 RC

Topics: User Forum
Jun 4, 2012 at 4:04 AM

I had the latest release of SHFB workiing fine with the VS11 beta, but when I recently upgraded to 2012-RC it stopped working.  Now I'm getting...

This version of Visual Studio does not have the following project types installed or does not support them. You can still open these projects in the version of Visual Studio in which they were originally created.

I reinstalled SHFB but the problem remains.  Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

Chuck

Coordinator
Jun 4, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I don't have the RC yet.  If they changed the version number in some way to reflect that it's now VS 2012, the installer or the package itself probably isn't recognizing it as being a valid version under which it can run.  I'll know more once I get it and take a look.

Eric

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I can confirm that it won't work in the RC at all.  You have to switch back to VS2010 in order to use the project inside the solution but note that you can still develop in the RC, you just cannot load the project.

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Any news on this yet Eric.  So far as I can see, VS 2012 RC still doesn't want to open SHFB Project files.

Thanks,  Nick

Coordinator
Jul 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM

No, nothing yet.  I'll post an update when I have something.

Eric

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I've got VS 2012 RC installed in a VM running Windows 8 RC and have applied the July 2012 Visual Studio update.  Although the guided installer won't recognize the package as being installed due to a difference in the installation path, it does install correctly and as far as I can tell works properly.  Granted, I can't test all configurations so there may be something specific with your set up or project.  If you cannot get it to work with VS 2012 and can create a small example project that doesn't work, I can try it out if you e-mail it to me.  My e-mail address is in the About box in the standalone GUI and in the footer of the pages in the help file.

Eric

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Thanks Eric.

I'm obviously doing something really stupid.  I've just reinstalled using the guided installer - and it offered me VS2010 and VS2011 Beta (no sign of 2012).  I left both ticked.  I then started VS2012 RC and still got an error message for my documentation project:

Unsupported

This version of Visual Studio does not have the following project types installed or does not support them.  You can still open these projects in the version of Visual Studi in which they were originally created.

..\aaaaa\bbbbb\ccccc.shfbproj

So, it sounds like VS2012RC is still not recognising the "add in".

Not suite sure where to go from there.

Cheers (not at all urgent, by the way)

Nick

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2012 at 1:21 AM

The installer predates VS 2012 RC so it will say VS 2011 though the locations and internal version numbers are still the same for it.  You could try uninstalling it using the Extension Manager in Visual Studio, closing and restarting Visual Studio to make sure it's gone, and then running the .vsix installer directly to see if it reports any errors.  After installation, it should appear in the Extension Manager dialog as an installed, active extension.  If you have time, try creating a new solution with a blank documentation project from scratch to see if you can get that far.  That would help determine whether it's a general problem or if it's just an issue when a SHFB project is combined in a solution with another project type.

Eric

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Eric,

As always, thanks for the prompt and comprehensive response.  I'm still struggling, but I'm now starting to suspect something odd going on with the VS install itself.  Either that or I am about to demonstrate my complete ignorance of how extensions work.

>> You could try uninstalling it using the Extension Manager in Visual Studio

Tools / Add-in Manager .... only shows Ghost Doc

Tools / Extensions and Updates .... lists several installed extensions, but not SHFB.

>> then running the .vsix installer directly

This was interesting.  I found SHFBVisualStudioPackage_1940.vsix but it doesn't have an application associated with it.  Should it?  I tried copying that file to two profile locations (Local and Roaming) under the VS11/Extensions folder.  Restarting Visual Studio did not pick these up.

>> try creating a new solution with a blank documentation project from scratch

The new project dialogue box doesn't offer a Documentation Project as an option.  That seems to add weight to VS2012 simply not knowing about the VSIX in any way, shape or form.

Not sure where to go from here.  Maybe it's a matter of using VS2010 for the documentation project until VS2012 RTM appears, and then looking again?

Thanks again for all the help.

Nick

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2012 at 5:03 PM

It looks like the problem may be Visual Studio related with regard to it not recognizing the VSIX file as having a file association.  I see there's a post in the MSDN VSX forum about a similar issue (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsx/thread/5e7a8e10-e1a9-442e-9d05-814e9c88c7bc).  In that case, they used the Visual Studio Selector tool to run it.  Another option is to run the VSIXInstaller.exe directly for the package.  It can be found in the "%VS110COMNTOOLS%\..\IDE" folder.  If it runs successfully, it should be installed and usable.

I did modify the configuration manifest to add the necessary settings to get it to define VS 2011/2012 as a valid target.  However, the guided installer only looks for the first instance of VSIXInstaller.exe that it can find so it's possible that if it finds the VS2010 version, that one may not work for the VS 2012 instance and I may need to modify the guided installer to run a matching version of the executable for each Visual Studio instance selected for the package.

Eric

Aug 1, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Thanks again Eric.

As I suspected, there are strange gremlins at work here.  A few days ago:

>> I found SHFBVisualStudioPackage_1940.vsix but it doesn't have an application associated with it.

This morning, having ignored the problem for a few days, I had another look at the VSIX file within the guided installer folder.  It now has an icon.  A double click, with fingers crossed, found VS 2012 RC and offered to do an install.  So far, everything now seems to be working as it should in VS 2012 RC.

Thanks for all the pointers and support.

Nick

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM
I had this problem too today: SFHB installed correctly, but VS 2012 refused to recognise the .sfhbproj as a valid project and SHFB was not shown under Tools->Extensions and Updates.
The cause in this case was the fact that the guided installer runs under administrator privileges while the user account with VS has reduced privileges so has to use a "Run as" call to make the installer run. It seems that the extension is then installed for "Run as" user and not for the logged on user.
Solution: run the .vsix instller non elevated.