Formatting tweaks

Topics: User Forum
Jun 3, 2012 at 2:33 AM

I'm trying to get chm output to look the way I want. A couple of things:

(1) I'd like to get rid of the underscores that appear in vb calling syntax descriptions. Modern versions of vb don't need them, and I think the clutter is distracting. I looked in several places, and I can't find the code that's inserting them.

(2) I'd like to modify the VS2010 style a little. Specifically, to change some fonts and sizes. I looked in the presentation.css file in the VS2010 folder, and it has hardly anything in it. Certainly the expected font definitions are not there. So, where is the definition of the VS2010 style ?

thanks

bk

Jun 3, 2012 at 2:13 PM

The code for inserting the vb calling syntax comes from Sandcastle rather than SHFB.  It's in VisualBasicDeclarationSyntax.cs or VisualBasicUsageSyntax.cs.

Most of the formatting for the VS2010 style is in the "branding" folder.

The styles are defined in branding.css.  You should probably NOT change this file, but you can find the style you want to change and then define an override for it in presentation.css.  Since presentation.css comes after branding.css in the HTML header, this should work. 

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Thanks very much.

So, to get rid of those underscores, I have to modify/rebuild Sandcastle. That's bad news.

Thanks for the info about VS2010. I'll take a look.

Coordinator
Jun 4, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I could make it a configurable option for the next Sandcastle release and update the syntax component accordingly.  I'd rather not remove them outright since people do use it for earlier versions where the underscores would be significant and they may prefer to keep them.  SHFB could be set up such that if it sees a framework version of 4.0 or later, it turns them off.

Eric

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:07 AM

> I could make it a configurable option for the next Sandcastle release

That would be wonderful, Eric. Thanks very much for this and all the other fine work you've done.

I agree that some people might want to keep the underscores, so this has to be optional.